The Somatic SSP Circle is a small group, 6-week journey that includes somatic learning and a therapeutic sound experience. It is a healing experience for all of your senses that supports positive shifts in the nervous system. Individuals who participate will experience increased embodiment and will leave with tools to support their continuing healing journey.
The 2 main anchors of this program along with the somatic learning and support individuals will receive from me:
- Basic Somatic Training delivered in an online classroom format and with additional teaching and guidance by Katie McClain, SEP.
- The Safe and Sound Protocol (SSP), a therapeutic, auditory intervention utilizing specially treated music (either Classical or Ambient Fusion). Participants will listen to SSP Core only while in our group sessions with Katie’s presence and support.
Attunement from a skilled, trauma-informed practitioner is essential for the SSP and somatic healing process. I’ll be using my Somatic Experiencing, TIST-Parts Works, and Somatic Touch practitioner skills to support each participant with processing and integrating memories and sensations that arise during the program and the listening sessions.
Co-regulation from your group-mates enhances the process, plus the learning and experience gained from doing healing work within a group is unmatched. The Safe and Sound Protocol and the somatic exercises and tools you’ll learn and practice will support you in moving through stuck patterns, anxiety, worry, depression and more.
In our first meeting we’ll get acquainted, set intentions, and learn somatic and polyvagal skills. We’ll delve into somatic practice and understanding of the tools we’ll use throughout the group sessions. Remaining sessions will included SSP listening and somatic skills development.
In this sound and somatic exploration you’ll have the opportunity to create positive shifts and increased nervous system regulation. Utilizing the Somatic Skills and the Safe and Sound Protocol along with trauma informed co-regulation and support from myself and your group-mates, it is possible to experience a powerful transformation.
The Somatic SSP Circle is uniquely supportive…
The SSP listening process reveals patterns and helps connect us deeply to our essential self so that we can bring gentle support to aspects of us that have been left behind, forgotten, or frozen in a troubling experience or time of life. Hidden patterns, sense memories, and painful experiences will be revealed and processed during this gentle guided process.
Within this small group, you will listen to the SSP Classical Flow or Freely (ambient fusion) playlist on your own headphones and smart device while we are all together in a private Zoom meeting. Each listening session will begin with a guided practice to support your connection to the present moment in order to enhance the process. The timing of all will be guided and supported by me and will ensure that you are not taken beyond your capacity at any point. The SSP music is designed to bring a sense of safety and comfort and can also reveal past experiences that are ready to be healed. With your consent, I’ll gently support you in processing these memories, emotions, and sensations using SE, TIST-Parts Work, and Intentional Touch.
Clients have a wide range of experiences with the Safe and Sound Protocol. While each experience is different for each participant, I’ve seen results from clients such as these listed below. Generally, the clients who have past traumas arise follow a theme of processing one experience per round of SSP. Meaning, they process different parts of that experience each listening day of the SSP round that they are on.
Please remember when reading this list that your results may vary:
- New or increased sense of feeling grounded, present, and/or embodied
- Increased desire and comfort with social connection
- Connection with the: observer self / wise mind / adult self / current age self / higher self… which results in the ability to really notice, ‘unblend’, and be compassionate with wounded parts inside of you
- Painful experiences/memories/parts of self arise from recent or distant past to be understood and gently processed
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety, worry, depression
- Improvement in sensory issues
- Improvements in sleep, body awareness, and gastrointestinal function
This Program is For You if
- You are committed and active in creating change in your health and well-being
- You are eager to develop and deepen your somatic skills and may already have some experience
- You’re actively working to increase your capacity and resilience
- You’d like to learn tracking of sensations and/or other patterns of activation/dysregulation
- You have at least one safe-enough human or animal as emotional support in your life
- You live in a safe-enough (non-dangerous) environment
- You have participated in group classes or other group experiences in the past
- You’re not actively struggling with an addiction(s), DID, Bipolar, BPD or other serious mental health issues
- Access to the 3 pathways of the Safe and Sound Protocol music before, during, and for 1 month after the program ends. Music will be released to you on a specific schedule.
- Access to a special online companion course on Somatics and the SSP with detailed information and exercises to support you throughout your experience.
- Co-regulation from myself and your group-mates. Somatic Experiencing, TIST-Parts Work, and Intentional Touch support from me as needed.
- Individual one-on-one session(s): Extra support during or after completing the Somatic SSP Circle. $180.00 per session with me. Timing for one-on-one sessions depends on my availability and yours.
What is the SSP?
Developed by Dr. Stephen Porges, the Safe & Sound Protocol (SSP), is an auditory intervention consisting of specially treated classical or popular music which is designed to reduce stress and auditory sensitivity while enhancing social engagement and resilience.
The SSP uses the auditory system as a portal to the vagus complex, which controls our physiological state. Once physiological state is regulated, we can accelerate or enhance subsequent therapy. There are 3 Pathways as part of the SSP: Connect, Core, and Balance. These pathways are delivered in a thoughtful way to provide the best outcomes for the client.
The SSP is a research-based therapy showing significant improvements in the following areas:
- Client’s ability to stay in the present moment
- Anxiety, worry, depression
- Trauma related challenges
- Stressors and emotional difficulties
- Social anxiety / Connection with others
Click this link to learn more about the Safe and Sound Protocol. (link will open in a new tab)
Group Size, Timing, Fees, Refund Policy
Group Size, Time Commitment, Fees:
- Number of participants in each group: 4 participants, with myself leading. Class will not proceed unless it fills.
- Time Commitment: 6 sessions. All sessions are 90 minutes equaling a 9 hour commitment over 6 weeks (see dates below). For 4 weeks post group experience, you will have access to the Balance playlist which enhances and deepens the processes.
- Cost Per Participant: $540.00 for the 9 hour program includes access to a special introductory course of Somatic. Limited discounted spots available for BIPOC individuals.
- $250.00 deposit required to hold your spot. Balance of $290.00 is due 10 days prior to program start date.
- Please make sure you can attend all dates of the program. Missed session(s) cannot be rescheduled or refunded.
- Refund of full tuition paid minus $75 if cancellation is made 4 weeks prior to start of course.
- 50% refund of tuition paid minus $75 if cancellation is made 2 weeks prior to start of course.
- No refund if cancellation is made within 7 days of start of course.
Space is limited. The times shown are in Pacific Time zone (Los Angeles). Please check your local times with TimeandDate to make sure these sessions will work for your schedule. Please also take into consideration standard and daylight savings times.
**Classes Proceed Only if all Spots are Filled**
If you would like to be notified of future class dates, please complete the application and include your day/time preferences for the program in your application.
Early Spring 2024 Program: Fridays – LAST DAY TO APPLY is March 12, 2024
- March 22, 2024 9:30-11:00am
- March 29, 2024 9:30-11:00am
- April 5, 2024 9:30-11:00am
- April 19, 2024 9:30-11:00am
- April 26, 2024 9:30-11:00am
- May 3, 2024 9:30-11:00am
Late Spring 2024 Program: Wednesdays – Last day to apply is May 6, 2024
- May 15, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
- May 22, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
- May 29, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
- June 5, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
- June 12, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
- June 19, 2024 2:00-3:30pm
Please complete the application below. Once your application is received, I will reach out and schedule a complimentary 30 minute conversation/informational meeting. In this meeting we will discuss your needs and how the program will work in order to discern if this program is a good fit.
Apply to Schedule Your Enrollment Conversation with Katie
Somatic SSP Circle
"*" indicates required fields